Sometimes when you’re exhausted from a full day of work, you just can’t wait to hit that soft cozy bed of yours. But what if you can’t, no matter what? Now that’s a bummer.
Sleep, as easy it may seem (look how easily babies do it all the time), can be a headache to some. I have problems with sleeping almost once a month. I can’t sleep when I’m stressed (usually before exams), and sometimes I can’t sleep because I’ve been thinking about other things (sad or happy). Most of the time I just roll around in bed, hoping my body will know it’s time for some recharging. However, that doesn’t always work. What I’ve figured out over the years is that the more you push yourself to fall asleep, the more difficult it is to actually fall asleep. So for those who are also struggling to get some quality beauty rest, here are a few suggestions:
- Keep your room a little bit chilly. Not too cold to the extent that you’re freezing, but a little bit chilly will do the trick. Prop open the window and let the cold air in is probably a good way to go.
- Do not turn on your laptop. Turning on the laptop will probably make you more awake because of the light from the computer screen.
- Drink milk. Milk doesn’t work for me all the time, but when it does, I get to bed almost instantly! ZZZ
- Play some soft music. I usually put on some soft music and just leave it on until the next morning. My choices are Joanna Wang, Khalil Fong. Adjust the volume to a point where you can barely hear the lyrics, because that way your brain won’t be processing the lyrics while trying to sleep. Classical Music puts me to bed too!
- I’ve heard people say that you shouldn’t workout before bed because working out activates your brain and confuses your brain into thinking that it’s day time and it should be working. I don’t know if this is true, but I workout in my room everynight before bed, and I don’t see much of a correlation there. But do try if you don’t mind. I usually do situps and some yoga before bed. See what works for you!
Things to do when you DON’T HAVE TO get up early the next morning and sleepless isn’t an issue:
- Organize things. If I absolutely cannot sleep and there is no reason for me to HAVE to go to bed, I’ll just get up and organize whatever that needs to be organized. That includes my books, closet, notes, music files, laptop bookmarks etc etc. Why not make use of the time, I say.
- Catch up/ re-watch tv shows. Hmmm, I prefer short comedies. Friends is my all time favourite, but that can get boring after so many times or re-watching (HAH!). Maybe a new one would be “How I Met Your Mother”. I’d really prefer watching something that doesn’t require much brain power.
- Catch up on reading. Read away! I think that is the best thing you can do when sleep eludes you. There are so many good books to read and I can’t seem to finish all the books I’ve got. I still haven’t finished “House of Leaves”… I should be ashamed of myself.
- Well, if you don’t mind gaining a few pounds and eating before bed doesn’t gross you out, I suppose enjoying a midnight movie with popcorn would be a good choice… Heh :3
What do you do when you can’t fall asleep? Happy sleeping everyone!